Position title: Health Promotion Officer
Location: Deakin ACT
Classification: Full-time position, with opportunity for part-time
Applications close: 31 March 2017
The Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education (FARE) is an independent, not-for-profit organisation working to stop the harm caused by alcohol. Alcohol harm in Australia is significant. More than 5,500 lives are lost every year and more than 157,000 people are hospitalised making alcohol one of our nation’s greatest preventive health challenges.
For over a decade, FARE has been working with communities, governments, health professionals and police across the country to stop alcohol harms by supporting world-leading research, raising public awareness and advocating for changes to alcohol policy.
FARE is seeking a Health Promotion Officer to work on a range of projects across the organisation. These projects include the Women Want to Know campaign that encourages health professionals to talk to women about alcohol use and pregnancy and the Pregnant Pause campaign that encourages Australians to go alcohol free during their pregnancy, or the pregnancy of their partner, family member, friend or loved one. Projects under development include the ACT Government funded campaign that will address undergraduate university students’ misperceptions of social norms around drinking.
The Health Promotion Officer will have responsibility for delivering key project outputs, ranging from development of surveys to coordination of campaign development and implementation. This is an excellent opportunity for a self-motivated person who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment.
The position reports to the Director, Policy and Research.
Duties and responsibilities
The activities to be undertaken include:
- Project management of the health promotion projects, including ensuring the projects meet their milestones within budget.
- Liaison with the project funders including providing project updates and reporting against the project milestones.
- Engaging with a diverse range of stakeholders including health professionals, health professional bodies, university students, university management, health professionals, researchers and project funders.
- Undertaking quantitative and qualitative data analysis, and summarising this data in high-quality written reports.
- Coordinating the development of the campaign evaluation, including liaising with the data custodians and researchers.
Skills and experience
Applicants must have the following:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in health promotion, public health or related discipline, or equivalent work experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of primary health care and public health.
- High-level project management skills, including the capacity to develop, implement and evaluate effective projects.
- The ability to work with a diverse range of stakeholders, and to develop and maintain relationships among health professionals and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively in a small team.
- High-level oral communication skills, including public speaking and presentation skills.
- High-level written communication skills, including demonstrated ability to synthesise complex information into concise briefs, reports and project documents.
The successful applicant will be able to access salary sacrificing options available to a health promotion charity. FARE is located in Deakin and offers a friendly, collaborative work environment.
Salary range from $70,000 to $80,000 p.a., subject to skills and experience.
Applicants will need to submit a cover letter of no more than 500 words indicating their suitability for the position, along with a CV.
Please submit your application by email to email@example.com using the subject line: ‘Health Promotion Officer’ by Friday 31 March 2017.
For more information, call Amy Ferguson on (02) 6122 8600.