The Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education (FARE)’s submission provides comments on the Draft updated Appendix 3 of the World Health Organization (WHO) Global Non-Communicable Disease (NCD) Action Plan 2013-2020.
FARE’s submission focuses on the actions relating to alcohol and uses headings referred to in Appendix 3.
Use of alcohol
- Amend the use of the term ‘harmful alcohol use’ to ‘alcohol use’ in the Global NCD Action Plan 2013-2020 to better reflect the latest available evidence.
Price (relating to A1: Increase in excise taxes on alcoholic beverages)
- Amend intervention A1 (increase in excise taxes on alcoholic beverages) to include minimum pricing policies as a fiscal measure to raise the price of alcohol.
Marketing (relating to A2: Enforcement of bans or comprehensive restrictions on alcohol advertising)
- Amend intervention A2 to “Enforcement of bans or comprehensive restrictions on alcohol advertising, promotion and sponsorship across all types of media, including modern means of communication.”
Availability (relating to A3: Enforcement of restrictions on the physical availability of retailed alcohol)
- Amend intervention A3 to “Enforcement of restrictions on the physical availability of retailed alcohol (via reduced density of retail outlets, reduced hours of sale and minimum legal purchase age laws).”
- That the World Health Organization develop Guidelines for Member States to support them in preventing, identifying and managing conflicts of interest when implementing policies to reduce NCDs.