The public consultation process on the Consultation Draft of the National Alcohol Strategy 2018-2026 (Consultation Draft) is fast coming to a close, with submissions due 11 February 2018.
Development of a new National Alcohol Strategy has been ongoing since 2011. The public consultation process provides a crucial opportunity to have your say on a new National Alcohol Strategy that will cover the period 2018-2026.
Make sure you have your say!
To ensure the sector’s voice is heard, we encourage you to have your say by lodging a submission with the Department of Health. Submissions can be in the form of a letter and do not need to be long.
The National Alliance for Action on Alcohol (NAAA) and the Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education (FARE) want the Ministerial Drug and Alcohol Forum (MDAF) to adopt a new National Alcohol Strategy that has clear priorities, commitments, timeframes and accountability mechanisms. These are crucial for a National Alcohol Strategy to achieve change. The National Alcohol Strategy will cover a period of eight years, so it is critical that this strategy has a strong focus on implementation.
For this reason NAAA and FARE are calling for a National Alcohol Strategy to:
- Adopt the National Road Safety Strategy 2011-2020 frame as a model for the new National Alcohol Strategy.
- Adopt a system of strong accountability measures to monitor progress and align with Australian Health Policy Collaboration (AHPC) Health Tracker 2025.
- Prioritise and commit to implementing specific, evidence-based activities in the first three years.
If you are interested in the NAAA’s and FARE’s approach to this process, please contact Nicole Lim, Senior Policy Officer at FARE, on 02 6122 8600 or Nicole.Lim@fare.org.au and we can provide you with more information.
- Consultation Draft National Alcohol Strategy 2018-2026
- National Road Safety Strategy 2011-2020
- Australian Health Policy Collaboration (AHPC) Health Tracker 2025
Information on the consultation process
- Visit the Department of Health website for information on the consultation process
- To lodge a submission, email firstname.lastname@example.org by 11 February 2018.
Spread the word
Help NAAA and FARE spread the word by:
- Sharing the link to this page with your networks and encourage them to have their say.
- Using the below social media images and share on your platforms. Don’t forget to use the hashtag #NationalAlcoholStrategy